[identity profile] valis2.livejournal.com posting in [community profile] pier56
As before, I was unable to cut the number of caps down. It's so hard to cut out the pretty, y'know? About 120 this time, so again, it will have to be in two parts. The picture quality for this episode wasn't terrific, and I've done what I can with the caps to make them look better. Also, Cody was talky and chewy and active so I did not get a lot of quality shots of him. Overall, though, I did get some good caps of the boys together (and Nick, at least), so I promise it's still full of the pretty!

I've cut down the shots that don't include the boys into thumbnails. As always, click to embiggen the smaller shots.

This ep begins with a hitman lining up a shot. For some reason the hitman keeps reminding me of Brad Pitt. I think it's the hair, because it can't be the face.
Oh noes

And what do you know--the GotW (Natalie Kramer) is in his crosshairs! Fortunately she drops her keys, and when she bends over the shot misses her.
Look out

She honks her horn, which brings out an old skool rent-a-cop, who even shouts, "There's nobody heah, Miss Kramuh!" I have not seen a security guard like this in years.
Old skool rent a cop

Meanwhile, back on the Riptide, Nick is unbearably hot.
Nick is damned hot

Nick is still hot. Uh, he's trying to make sense of a logic puzzle that Murray has given him. Note that Cody is drawn like a moth to the unbearable hotness. Also, Nick talks with his hands.
Nick is hot, and Cody is closer

Cody is now right behind Nick. As he should be.
Nick is still hot, and Cody can't stay away

Murray is trying to get Nick to understand the puzzle. The arrows are pointing North, East, West, and South, which spells "NEWS" and Nick is being adorably stubborn and literal. Though I like to think that the writers haven't really got a handle on Nick's character at this point (only the third ep, after all) because later he's definitely smrt. Anyway, Murray belongs to an organization called High-Q (and has belonged to it since he was a kid), and he's hosting his first party (aw). The logic puzzle cards are for the party. The cards get circulated among the guests, and people have to find the question that belongs to the answer on the back, and vice versa.
Murray explains it all

Cody is amused by literal!Nick not understanding the card.
Cody is amused

Cody helps Murray with his tie, which is just so sweet. Cody: We're going to help you out anyway we can.
Cody helps Murray with his tie

Nick, however, is feeling a little bit weirded out. He wants to take off for Straightaway's because he doesn't think he'll fit in. Aw, poor Nick! And I absolutely love that when he posits this, Cody immediately jumps in and says he'll go with him, even though he's just told Murray he'd help him. *hugs the boys* Cody just can't leave Nick alone.
Nick is feeling a wee bit of anxiety

Murray convinces them to stay. He also touches nearly every bit of food on this platter at some point.
Hors d'ouerves

Nick: "I don't care about your appetizers. I just want you."
Nick and Cody are hot

Nick is always eating. Does he know that Murray just touched nearly everything on this platter? lol.
Nick is always eating

The invitation is clearly for smrt people, because it doesn't mention which slip the Riptide is berthed at. Another logic puzzle! If you can't find the party, you can't attend.
Invitation

And just for fun, a long shot of the Riptide. I never noticed that Lahani Haloha restaurant before.
Riptide long shot

Roboz lives to serve. Humans.
Roboz lives to serve

Okay, here's one of the little things that bugged me when I watched this the first time. This guy tells a joke. What's 1.75, and also a dessert? A piece of pie. Pi is generally represented as 3.14. Well, 1.75 is (technically) a piece of 3.14, but the joke works much better if it's 1.57, which is half of pi (well, about as close to half as you can get with an irregular number like pi). Amusingly enough, when Nick retells the joke at the end of the ep, he says 1.57, proving that he's apparently unconsciously smrter than this guy.
Pi joke

Nick does not believe that Cody got the pi joke, and insists Cody explain it to him. However, Cody distracts instead of answering. Um, also, I cannot take my eyes off Cody's package here. I know that makes me a bad, bad, bad girl.
Um, package.

Um, technically they've noticed GotW coming aboard the Riptide, and Nick thinks she looks familiar. But I think we all know better what's going on here.
Nick and Cody.  guh

Cody wants Nick right now.

GotW is very upset. She wants the help of Murray (she knows him from MIT, when they were both in the graduate school program) and the Riptide Detective Agency. Nick and Cody come out to the fantail to find out what's going on.
Murray consoles Natalie

Nick realizes that he knew GotW in high school, and Natalie mentions that he cheated off her Geometry test and got an F. Cody: No wonder you didn't get the pi joke. Now Natalie doesn't want to hire them and she gets bitterful. Which makes Nick sad. Nick: Natalie, I'm better at investigating than I was at geometry. Natalie: Well, that's not saying much.
Natalie snubs Nick

Murray is pretty, and insists upon helping her. He has pens both in his shirt pocket and his blazer pocket. He's ready for any contingency
Murray is sweet

Um. Cody is hot. Love that shirt on him.
Cody is hot

I just want to point out how close they're standing. Almost looks like Cody is protecting Nick from the big bad bitterful GotW.
Um, could they stand closer?

As usual, Nick and Cody on one side, Murray and the GotW on the other. GotW tells them that she is part of a brain trust at a company, and one of the other people in the brain trust is dead. She suspects that the attempt on her life and the murder are from the third member of the brain trust, who is named Danny.
Nick and Cody on one side, Murray with the girl on the other

The boys listen.
Boys are hot

Murray listening.
Murray is listening

Um. Nick is very hot when he's listening.
Nick is hot

So is Cody.
Cody is hot

Murray is still wearing his nametag.
Murray and GotW are listening

Oh yeah, the love story continues. Love Cody's look here. Natalie decides to leave, because she has a big meeting tomorrow. Nick tries to be helpful by telling her not to take any guff from "the guy in charge." Natalie: I am the guy in charge. Go GotW! Poor Nick, though. She refuses to shake Nick's hand. After she leaves, Nick tries to figure out why she hates him so much. Cody: That's the thing about the smart ones, Nick...they never forget.
Oh yeah, the love story continues

Anyway, as she gets out onto the pier drive, someone tries to run her down and she falls in the harbor. Cody, Mr. Water Rescue Go-To Guy, jumps up on the rail and then jumps in to save her.
Cody's posterior

Cody's posterior

Nick says he didn't get the license plate. Strangely enough, he didn't do his TJ Hooker impression and leap on the car--maybe that's just a s2 thing? Cody says he'll meet them at the beach. Uh, why the beach? I'm certain at least one of the docks has to have a ladder. Maybe this is further down the harbor or something.
Nick & MUrray

Natalie stays on the Riptide that night for her safety, and then she gets up and talks to Murray and realizes that Murray does a ton of the research for the Riptide Detective Agency. Like, all the research. She's totally impressed with Murray's skills at the computer and compliments him. She then implies that Nick and Cody don't do anything, but Murray defends them. Um, I want to point out the Yachting mag here. Honestly, whoever pointed out in one of the other commentaries that there is a yacht/cabin cruiser schism was right--and I'm surprised to see Cody checking out the other side, lol.
Yachting mag

The boys come in with donuts, and Natalie is angry that Murray's been working on stuff all morning and that they're just getting donuts. She thinks they're just using Murray to do all the work. Also, the boys are insanely hot here. Poor Murray--he apparently paid for the donuts (Nick gives him the change), and they didn't even get him a glazed donut, which is what he wanted. Also, I think the four coffee cups that Cody brings in on a tray are all empty, which is typical for camera work. Nick, btw, says he wants the bearclaw.
The boys are hot

Uh, Cody is eating a donut, that's why he looks so funny. Natalie goes after Nick, and what's funny is that even though he's talking about Murray and helping Murray out, he keeps looking at Cody. Poor guy, he needs some support here. Natalie: You have not changed a bit since high school, Nick Ryder. Nick: Well, I'm a little heavier, maybe, but... GotW storms off.
Cody is munching, don't hold it against him.

Nick is totally pissed and does not understand why GotW is so bitterful. Also, posterior.
Nick's posterior

*momentarily derailed by the licking of fingers*
Nick licking his fingers

guh. Also, after Nick takes off for the car, Cody shouts a question about wanting Nick's bearclaw and just grabs it and takes a bite before hearing an answer.
Nick is still licking his fingers.  guh.

They head to Danny's place in Cody's Woody with Murray and GotW in the backseat. The Woody is kind of an interesting addition. See, I'm always fascinated by how people tinker with shows, and why--usually it's feedback and ratings, I'd assume. The Woody resonates as a California surfer car, and maybe they were trying to play up the California fun in the sun angle. Perhaps they also liked the reaction to the Mimi, which is an outdated chopper that takes some coaxing to work. So perhaps they were trying to mirror the Mimi for Cody. Or give Cody a surfer look, or a nostalgic vibe. After all, they probably had plenty of time to tinker, because pilot eps are sometimes shot up to a year before a series actually starts. (Though I don't know the specific circumstances here--I know that Riptide was a midseason replacement, which might mean there was a half year between the pilot and the second ep, or maybe something else occurred.) Anyway, whatever the reason for trying out the Woody, clearly it's an experiment that failed--I think it gets destroyed in the next ep. The camera work in it sucks, possibly because of the shape of the windshield. It can convey multiple people (whereas the 'Vette cannot, hence it isn't used as much), but its top speed is rather slow, and I can't imagine that it can turn on a dime, so car chases with it are not as exciting. And since car chases are required by law for a show of this type, the Woody must die. So that aspect of Cody's personality--restoring a vintage Woody--is completely cut out and dropped. I mean, owning the Riptide means continual restoration, in a way, but still, we really don't see much more of that from Cody. Instead, we have Nick talking about how he restored the 'Vette, and taking care of the Mimi (and the Riptide--how many shots of him with a polishing rag, lol?).
Boys in the Woody

Mmm.
Yeah, they like each other

Nick points out that the car in the driveway is the same one that tried to run Natalie over. Natalie doesn't think it's Danny's.
Long shot

The boys are pretty.
Pretty boys

When a gunshot rings out, Cody totally grabs Nick.
Cody totally grabbing Nick

Nick goes in the front and gets shot at. Oh, and posterior.
Nick posterior

Cody goes in the back. He's very lucky that the hitman's gun jams when he comes face to face with him.
Cody is pretty

Hitman eventually takes Cody down with a few kicks. This is a cap for my h/c peeps. Too bad it isn't just a little more to the right, or it would have been a great shot of Cody's posterior for my Cody's posterior peeps.
Cody h/c

Nick finds Danny, dead at his computer.
Nick finds a dead geek

Nick runs for the Woody and jumps in. I kept thinking about the fact that Nick mentions earlier that there are no shocks and no muffler--what a horrid ride that must be.
Nick dashing for the Woody

Cody still thinks that the hitman is Danny. Nick tells Cody that Danny is dead in the house--the hitman isn't Danny. Nick is grumpy that the hitman got away from Cody, and Cody says he had martial arts moves. Nick: Oh, come on, a few kicks, a couple yells, I'm telling ya--it's all a bunch of theatrics. Besides, you should have had him. Boy, they had trouble filming the Woody interior shots--they just can't get the backseat into focus. Hell, Cody is barely in focus.
Back seat driver

The Woody breaks down. Cody: C'mon, baby, c'mon. C'mon, baby, c'mon, honey, c'mon...I think I pressed her too hard. Um. Yeah, there was some naughty thoughts involved there, let me tell you. Cody's voice saying baby and honey? *shivers* Even funnier is that I think Nick says, "What?!" at one point after Cody says c'mon, as if Cody was talking to him...
The Woody lets the boys down

Meanwhile, back at the police department, you'd think they could afford a better sign.
Police dept

Cody helps himself to cop coffee.
Cody helps himself to coffee

I LOVE QUINLAN. He's complaining about having his officers assigned to cover a senator at a parade. Quinlan: You tell Senator Billings' office that he's going to have more than a troubled constituent to deal with. He's going to have me. And lady? You make damned sure he knows who me is when you tell him it's me.
Lt Quinlan rocks

Murray immediately makes himself comfortable at a keyboard. An open terminal is practically an invitation for him.
Murray loves him some computer

Nick tries to talk sense to Quinlan, but is rebuffed. Quinlan thinks their theory of "eggheads" getting killed is ridiculous. I have to agree--how do two dead smarties turn into killing all of the geeks in America?
Nick is pretty

Cody is pretty.
Cody is pretty

Quinlan pitches a fit and Cody says they'll leave. What's hilarious is that, apropos of nothing, Cody reaches across and touches Nick on the arm. Silly, really, because Nick was already listening. Also, the dirt/grass stain on the back of his sweater has gotten darker. Makes me think that maybe Cody and Nick took a side trip on the way to the station...
Cody must touch Nick

On to part two

(no subject)

Date: 2008-12-07 09:26 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] oddmonster.livejournal.com
Go you!

Note that Cody is drawn like a moth to the unbearable hotness.
And we feel him there. Really.

Cody is amused by literal!Nick not understanding the card.
And sort of needs a smack.

Do they know they're in public? (http://pics.livejournal.com/valis2/pic/001c2rsx/g49)

No, they could not stand any closer. (http://pics.livejournal.com/valis2/pic/001c7dt1/g49) Not without medical intervention, anyway.

Whoa. Good cap. (http://pics.livejournal.com/valis2/pic/001ceqec/g49) I may require bottled oxygen.


*momentarily derailed by the licking of fingers*

Momentarily? You're doing it wrong. :P


When a gunshot rings out, Cody totally grabs Nick.

WHAT GIRL? WHERE?

Cody totally grabbing Nick
Murray immediately makes himself comfortable at a keyboard. An open terminal is practically an invitation for him.

Practically?

Thanks for posting these! They are wicked amazing! Also they're wicked and amazing, in case that needs clarification...









(no subject)

Date: 2008-12-08 01:37 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] oddmonster.livejournal.com

And check out that grip! (I think his other hand is around the back of Nick, too, which...guh.)

Well that girl could have been doing the shooting. Best to keep a firm grip on Nick in case she gets any ideas....

(no subject)

Date: 2008-12-08 03:00 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] oddmonster.livejournal.com
Heh. In fact, if he could just hang onto Nick like that for the next 30 years, Nick just might stop jumping on those cars eventually.

(no subject)

Date: 2008-12-08 05:40 pm (UTC)
seraphina_snape: Parker from the TV show Leverage. She is wearing a white shirt and is smiling. (Riptide_ Nick (sunglasses))
From: [personal profile] seraphina_snape
Meanwhile, back on the Riptide, Nick is unbearably hot.
You could use this sentence for every single Riptide picspam in existence and it would always be true. ...I love Riptide.

Cody is now right behind Nick. As he should be.
*G*

He wants to take off for Straightaway's because he doesn't think he'll fit in. Aw, poor Nick! And I absolutely love that when he posits this, Cody immediately jumps in and says he'll go with him, even though he's just told Murray he'd help him.
It's cute. I bet he'd pretend to like stuff just for the sake of hearing Nick say, "Really? Me too!"

Murray convinces them to stay. He also touches nearly every bit of food on this platter at some point.
I noticed that. If my mother had been standing next to him, she would have slapped his hand away from the food. (Then she would have confiscated the plate and sent him to his room until he learned some manners...)

Okay, here's one of the little things that bugged me when I watched this the first time. This guy tells a joke. (...) Well, 1.75 is (technically) a piece of 3.14, but the joke works much better if it's 1.57, which is half of pi (well, about as close to half as you can get with an irregular number like pi).
I didn't think that was intentional; I figured that the actor just mixed up 57 and 75.

I just want to point out how close they're standing. Almost looks like Cody is protecting Nick from the big bad bitterful GotW.
Isn't it sweet?

When a gunshot rings out, Cody totally grabs Nick.
Well, duh. What, you thought he'd be concerned for the girl?

Cody helps himself to cop coffee.
LOL. He must be desperate.

I LOVE QUINLAN.
Oh, me too. I &heart; him a lot.

~ sera

(no subject)

Date: 2008-12-08 06:34 pm (UTC)
seraphina_snape: Parker from the TV show Leverage. She is wearing a white shirt and is smiling. (Riptide_ Nick (sunglasses))
From: [personal profile] seraphina_snape
I was just thinking last night that about 75% of the cap commentary could be summarized by, "Nick is hot." lol!
Not that we're complaining...

Wouldn't that be a cute fic? Cody pretending to like black & white movies just so he can attend a film festival with Nick, and then Nick noticing that he's not enjoying it, and making it a little more...worthwhile...for him. *snerk*
Oooh. Cody would definitely do that. And Nick would find it endearing and take advantage of Cody's new attitude towards b&w movies and drag him into the worst films just to secretly laugh at Cody. And then, when Cody is almost ready to go on a rampage and destroy every roll of film he can find, Nick steps in and takes Cody home.

Even though Cody is amused by Nick flunking the test, I think it's obvious that he feels sorry for him being the recipient of the wrath of Miss Shoutypants.
Protective!Cody ftw!

Y'know, some of my fave caps are total accidents, like this one.
Definitely. You get the most hilarious expressions sometimes without even trying.

~ sera

Profile

pier56: (Default)
Riptide - Slash it any way you like it

May 2021

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16 171819 202122
232425 26272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags